Monday, November 8, 2010

What's really gone?

I lost my ipod last week. I wonder if it was some sort of karmic retribution for either doing or not doing something. Either way, the message was lost in translation.

Everytime I lose something, I ask myself what is really lost? I have a back-up ipod. The mini-van of my newly misplaced cadillac. It does it's job most of the time. It gives me something to concentrate on at the gym and something to fall asleep to on the bus. It serves it's purpose - so what am I missing?

I'm missing constant access to my email, your facebook page, horoscopes, and dan savage, but I can live without instant gratification.

I did realize that each of my ipods and each of my ex-boyfriends seemed to have similar shelf lives though. My mini-van's windshield is cracked, and once you turn it on it won't shut off until the battery is dead, and even that sounds eerily familiar. It was a good 4 years. And the cadillac...I was kind of hoping it would last longer than it did, but again, what's really lost? I can't help but think that the next time I go to the apple store that I'll really be shopping for a new boyfriend. I'm content without having the newest model though, I'm not really feeling all this "face-time" stuff. There's something to be said about silence.

However, at the time I lost my ipod I was involved in a very intense game of words with friends with a lovely lady who grew up in the former USSR but is now living in California after a brief stint in Canada. She made her kids' costumes for halloween, and I never got to ask how it went. For the record though, I was about to play "fictions" for 111 points.

If my friends thought I was losing my shit last year around this time, let me tell you, 2010 is just as interesting. I left my gym-bag on the bus today. Goodbye hairdryer, straightener, perfect shoes and my favorite pair of underwear. I am getting all of that back, but it just begs me to ask the question again - what am I missing? Nothing really! I'm only slightly serious, I really would miss that pair of undies.

Maybe I'm just supposed to be thankful for what I have right now. Comfortable in the silence, not in need of luxury. And I am, it's kind of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment