Thursday, October 14, 2010

Where you are right now, is where you are meant to be

Among so many other things, I champion being present in everyday life. I think all you can control is how you feel and how you show up for others, and that the best way to control this is by not dwelling on the past or trying to predict the future (both of which I do incessantly, but we can't all be perfect). I think you start doing this by simply being aware of your surroundings.

But the thing is, I've been falling down stairs a lot lately. At the leg. building this week I had to run something over to the speaker's office, and I was so nervous! I don't work in the legislature building (the fancy one), I work in the annex (the ugly green one), and I don't have to go over very often. It's such a confusing building! To get to this part of the second floor, you have to go downstairs, take the elevator with the bullet hole up 2 stories, and down this other staircase....that type of thing. What's more, is I make myself up as silly and stupid for working on the leg. grounds for 2 years and still not knowing where the Speaker's Office is. I mean, c'mon! But, anyway, I found it, and on my way back to my building, I tripped down the stairs, that I had walked up only 10 minutes before, right in front of the ledge in front of about 60 people. To add, I'm not a graceful person, so you can only imagine.

Then yesterday, I did the exact same thing at school over a set of stairs that I've come across only a thousand times before. It's so bloody annoying!

And even one more thing yesterday, where about 20 other people are as non-present as me at 8am... We all got off the bus and went to cross the street, but there was an ambulance coming. Granted, there's an emt building, a fire hall, and it's downtown so we're all a little desensitized to e-town's alarm clocks, but half of us had to run ahead to avoid being hit by the bus, and the other half of us had to slam on our own brakes. ALL FREAKIN' 20 of us weren't paying attention! It astounds me, seriously. When I'm crossing the street, why can't I be crossing the street, why am I already 100 feet away in my health class already?

I love life's little nudges in the right direction, and I'm giving props to myself for recognizing them. Right now, I am scanning notes for a friend and writing to no one in particular. The nap, dinner, and relaxation in my near future don't matter...I am being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment