Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I love my assorted ways, I contain multitudes

I've had to do a lot of self-describing lately. I don't want to call it justifying myself, or selling who I am to others. I know who I am, and you can take me or leave me. Hell, you can take parts of me and leave with them if you want to! I have a lot to give, and there's lots to go around.

In the last 6 months I've met new friends, new loves, new bosses, and I'm currently trying to organize my life to coordinate with 47 other people I just met and have to work with. You think with all the "I'm a hard worker" and "If I like you, I'll bend over backwards for you" 's that I've muttered over this time, you'd think I'd have a better idea of who I am, and what makes me me. And maybe I do know, in a sense. I know that I change constantly, or maybe I am change. I know that I contradict myself on every available occasion.

I'm the aspiring raw-foodie-would-be-health-nut, who smokes. Put me on a stage with a spotlight, and you bet that I'll rock it, but put me in a house party with a bunch of new strangers and I might very well be the girl who leaves early. I'm always rushing around, but I'm the person who strolls more so than walks or runs. I'm the albino hermit that feels like a nubian queen. Naked in front of 40 strangers? No problem! Fully clothed in front of that one guy? We might have some issues.

I am everything, a mess of contradictions, the assorted package of nuts, and I'll celebrate this as my divine advantage.

“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes.”
- Walt Whitman


No comments:

Post a Comment